On this day in 1985, the very first WWF (now WWE) WrestleMania took place at Madison Square Garden in New York; there were an estimated 19,121 fans in attendance. Over a million people watched WrestleMania 1 on TV, making it the largest event on closed-circuit television in the U.S. at the time.
There were a total of nine matches that inaugural year, with the main event pitting Hulk Hogan and Mr. T with “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka against “Mr. Wonderful” Paul Orndorff and “Rowdy” Roddy Piper with Cowboy Bob Orton. After interference from “Cowboy” Bob Orton, Hulk Hogan won the match.
Celebrities involved with the WrestleMania 1 Main Event included Muhammad Ali, Billy Martin, Liberace, and The Rockettes.
The eight matches before the main event and their results are as follows:
– Tito Santana defeated The Executioner
– David Sammartino w/ Bruno Sammartino vs. Brutus Beefcake w/ Luscious Johnny Valiant went to a no contest
– Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat defeated Matt Borne
– King Kong Bundy w/ Jimmy Hart defeated Special Delivery Jones
– Bodyslam Challenge: Andre the Giant defeated Big John Studd
– Intercontinental Championship: Junkyard Dog defeated Greg “The Hammer” Valentine w/ Jimmy Hart via count-out
– World Tag Team Championship: Nikolai Volkoff & Iron Sheik w/ Classy Freddie Blassie defeated Mike Rotundo & Barry Windham to become new champions
– Women’s Championship: Wendi Richter w/ Cyndi Lauper defeated Leilani Kai w/ Fabulous Moolah to become new champion