These may be valid only in California, but I thought they were worth sharing anyway. I don’t know why new traffic laws aren’t advertised more, but they’re not. Probably so the government can make more money on tickets. But that’s just my theory.
1. Unlawful use of the carpool lane – the 1st time is $1068.50 (NOT the $271, currently posted on most highways). The 2nd time is double that at $2137.00. The 3rd time it’s tripled, and the 4th time means your license will be suspended.
2. Incorrect lane change – $380. Don’t cross solid lines to change lanes or change lanes in an intersection.
3. Blocking the intersection – $485
4. Driving on the shoulder – $450
5. Using your cell phone (not hands free) through a construction zone. – Double fine (remember, all fines are doubled in construction zones).
6. Passengers over 18 not wearing a seatbelt – both passengers and driver get tickets.
7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit. Someone I know of drove 71 MPH in 65 mph zone and got ticket.
8. DUI = JAIL
Drive carefully. The life you save may be mine! (I know it’s cheesy, but it’s true).
P.S. If you are driving in conditions that require the use of your windshield wipers, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS. Aside from the fact that it’s THE LAW, the need for wipers indicates the need for careful driving – and therefore, lights. There nothing I hate more than being behind a white or silver car in the pouring rain and they don’t have their dang lights on.
Question: Where did you get this list of fines? They look totally made up. Did you check the source?
Specifically, “$1068.50 (NOT the $271, currently posted on most highways)”.
If nothing else, where did that one come from??
This list of fines came from a friend of mine who attended traffic school. I do know that there are carpool signs with a $271 fine. It sticks in mind because it’s such an odd and random amount.
I’m not making any guarantees on these laws, of course, but I’m going to go about my business like they are legit and continue to not get pulled over.
Thanks for your comment!