If there’s one thing I’ve learned about mushrooms lately, it’s that they’re super versatile and really easy to use when you want to swap them for something less healthy and filling.
For the purposes of swapability, I would say my favorite mushroom is the Portabella. They’re thick, hearty, and really fill you up. After much searching and recipe combining, I found an awesome stuffed Portabella recipe that I think is a great alternative to pizza.
Yes, you heard me right… the following Portabella mushroom recipe can replace homemade pizza.
I am definitely not a chef, so anything I spend time making in the kitchen had better be quick, easy, and worth it. The following recipe is all of these things.
Hope you enjoy your Spinach and Fontina-Stuffed Portabellas as much as I enjoyed mine!
What You’ll Need:
4 medium or large Portabella mushrooms
¼ cup olive oil
10oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/3 cup prepared chunky tomato sauce
½ cup sliced green onions
1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained and chopped
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (I used chili powder)
3oz Fontina cheese, shredded
– Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
– Remove stems from mushrooms
– Lightly brush both sides of each mushroom with oil; arrange on a baking sheet
– Bake for 10 minutes, flipping once
– In a small bowl combine spinach and tomato sauce
– In another bowl, combine green onions, sun-dried tomatoes, and crushed red pepper
– Remove mushroom caps from the oven; place them gill-side up on the baking sheet
– Spoon the spinach mixture into mushrooms, dividing evenly
– Top each cap with an equal amount of the sun-dried tomato mixture and then sprinkle with Fontina cheese.
– Return the baking sheet to the oven and cook until the cheese begins to melt, about 5 or 6 minutes
– Serve and enjoy!
For more fabulous fungus fun, check out the Mushroom Channel on Facebook, and for a wonderful variety of swapability recipes, check out Mushroom Swapability from MushroomInfo.com (where I found this awesome recipe).
On a related note… check out the mushroom I have on my back…..